When I sit and talk with some of my teacher colleagues that I admire most I am struck, at times, by how uncomplicated their advice is for teaching well.
As teachers and as caring human beings they have the desire that I think is present in most people to share the skills of their craft with others. These lessons are frequently anti-climactic or disappointingly simple in nature, at times being little more than platitudes. This is because, I think, what is most real and wonderful about their teaching comes from within.
Something that cannot be expressed through lecture is made manifest through their lessons. It must be felt to be known and, while it's not entirely clear to me where it comes from, it seems to be a profound inner strength and sincere love for what they do and for whom they serve.
All the training manuals and seminars and acronym-laden rubrics in the world may help build structure to teaching but that structure must be built upon a solid foundation of something one cannot acquire through a Ministry of Education conference.
So where the hell do I find it?
Wednesday, May 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment